Tag Archives: eu registration card

Registration and address card for EU nationals

I’m hoping this post will bring together all the information I have found and experienced when applying for the registration card.

As an Eu national wanting to stay in Hungary for more than 90 days the registration card is required and the address card follows in the post.

Hungarian translations of these two cards are:

Registration card-

Address card- Lakcim Kartya


The old immigration website was confusing enough and now the new one (partly Eu funded) only has the following information:

“When is it necessary to submit for registration card as an EEA national?

The EEA national is entitled to enter to the territory of Hungary with valid travel document or identity document and in case of stay longer than 90 days – at the latest on the ninety-third day from entry – is required to notify his/her stay with personal data.

What is necessary for reporting and issuing address card?

The EEA national is required to report his/her stay longer than 90 days at the customer service of regional directorate competent on the basis of his/her future residence. At reporting the applicant is required to present a valid travel document or identity document, and attach the documents proving the conditions of stay: in case of gainful activities the proving documents, in case of studies the certificate issued by educational institution, in case of family law status the document certifying the existence of family relationship, the document certifying the financial conditions, document certifying the right over property as Hungarian address and the document supporting the right to use of health insurance services or document certifying the necessary funds. The administrative service fee of registration card is 1.000 HUF, which shall be paid with revenue stamp.”

Immigration office website

As an Eu national wanting to stay in Hungary for more than 90 days the registration card is required and the address card follows in the post.

What documents do you need?

  • Passport or Id card
  • Prof of accommodation-either rental contract or letter from whom you are staying with.
  • If you have a job..Letter from employer/contract
  • If you don’t have a job bank statements showing you have enough money to support yourself.
  • EHIC card/European health insurance card from your home country.
  • 1000huf stamp from the post office.
  • A Letter stating when and where you entered the country and your reason for staying.
  • A pen to complete the form.


Office Address

Office of Immigration and Nationality
Address: 1117 Budapest, Budafoki street 60.

Telephone: 0036-1-463-9100

If you are outside Budapest this is the list of regional offices. http://www.bmbah.hu/jomla/index.php?option=com_k2&view=item&layout=item&id=33&Itemid=678&lang=en#

How to get there:

by bus No. 33, 33E, 33A which leaves from Móricz Zsigmond körtér /bus-stop: Hengermalom utca/ or by bus No. 103 (black) which leaves from Népliget /bus-stop: Hengermalom utca/.

Or there is the one downton

1075 . Budapest, VII. kerület Károly krt. 11.

How to get there: Customer service at Deák Square (underground: 1, 2, 3, tram: 47, 49)

I personally went to the Buda office, as I could not find the one at Karoly Krt. I walk past it everyday now, I do not know how I managed to miss it. The entrance is in between Pasta Manufaktura and the Gold wok, You will see the Flags just above the door.

What happens next?!

Once you arrive, you will be given a form to complete and a Number. Fill in the form and wait your turn.

Hand over the form and all your paperwork. Providing they are happy you should receive your registration card there and then and your address card will follow in the post.


At the Buda office the receptionist sent me away the first time because I did not have a job. When I went back the second time I said I was self  employed. I do not want to sound rude toward her, but she doesn’t know what she is talking about. So make sure you stand your ground. When I went back the second time I asked the actual immigration officer if it was necessary to have a job, she said no, as long as you prove you have enough money to live on for your stay or while you are looking for work.


I wish everyone the best of luck!